[lug] Happy Pi Day 2012

Thu Mar 15 09:17:28 MDT 2012

Choosing celebration dates based on visual (pi Day) or audial (Star Wars Day) similarity to the thing being celebrated seems to make sense, even if the ratios of value for positional variables bear little similarity, as in this case, where one is a date with a varying number of increments in the lesser symbol position (but approximately 30), and the other has consistently 10 increments in each lesser position.

"(whatever) day", in this case, as in most, is a foreshortening of the "the day of each year on which we celebrate (whatever)" so it doesn't make sense to add the year to the representation.

It is sufficient for our purposes to say that the exact infinitesimal ~moment~ of celebration of pi is that moment which matches all the digits of pi, using the single-digit month for the integer, the day of the month for the first two digits of the decimal fraction, the single-digit hour of a 12 or 24 hour clock by personal preference and sleeping pattern for the 3rd digit of the decimal fraction, the minute for 5th and 6th, second for the 7th and 8th, and then the decimal fraction of the second for digits of pi from the .

--
David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast

This is a good time for a r3volution.