[lug] sendto(2) problem with ipv4/ipv6 addresses...

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Mon Apr 2 13:31:58 MDT 2012

I can't put it in in either format - I have to put it in in binary ;-).
But it seems likely I got it right since strace is printing it out the
way I would expect.

On 04/02/2012 01:08 PM, Bear Giles wrote:
> Dual network stack implementations can recognize IPv4 addresses within
> the IPv6 address space.
>
> It's unlikely but you could also try the older format ::aa.bb.cc.dd
> (drop the :ffff:).
>
> Bear
>

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org
> <mailto:zlynx at acm.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 12:38 -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
>     > As part of the Assimilation Monitoring project (assimmon.org
>     <http://assimmon.org>), I've
>     > been writing some UDP network code to send packets.  It seems to
>     work
>     > fine when sending to the ipv6 loopback address (::1), but not when
>     > sending to ipv4 addresses.  I'm sending to ipv4 addresses by
>     using the
>     > ipv4 part of the ipv6 address space ("::ffff:aa.bb.cc.dd").  Tcpdump
>     > is showing that nothing is being sent - so the kernel is
>     blocking this
>     > call before it goes out.
>
>     I believe that using IPv4 addresses mapped in IPv6 requires a gateway
>     device to convert the protocol from IPv6 to IPv4. This seems to be
>     called NAT-PT.
>
>     Here is one source I Googled that describes configuring it on Linux:
>     http://tomicki.net/ipv6.router.php
>
>     --
>     Knowledge Is Power
>     Power Corrupts
>     Study Hard
>     Be Evil

>     Join us on IRC: irc.hackingsociety.org
>     <http://irc.hackingsociety.org> port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety

     Alan Robertson<alanr at unix.sh>  - @OSSAlanR

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce