[lug] April's Meeting is On-Line

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:30:03 MDT 2012

> On another note this is kind of what I thought might happen if I were to
> make a habit out of it and probably the best reason why I should not.

I drive this talk series:
http://sea.ucar.edu/category/event-category/seminar which is very
often broadcasted live and recorded. I have not done a scientific
study about it, but I believe the remove availability makes it more
popular and more attended event, not less one: links fly around and
people learn about it and show up in person. Moreover, some "tricks"
help:

1) never announce publicly if a given talk is recorded-broadcasted or
not (no particular effort on this side: sometimes the speaker do not
agree to be placed on the internet, sometimes there is a technical
problem preventing the recording, etc)

2) do not accept questions online (ditto, it would be a big effort to
do accept them - for BLUG this is a non-issue since it would be posted
after the fact, not live like mine)

People interested will show up. The others, they would not have shown
up anyway, so better to offer them a video than nothing. And maybe
with the video they may get engaged, and they may show up next time.

Just my $0.02

Davide