[lug] Reliable SATA server?

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Sat Apr 21 18:25:51 MDT 2012

Finally home.

So I have no respect for those 3Ware 9550s.  They ones I have are
complete trash.  I can't count the number I've replaced because they
died.  My favorite error is when the server boots and the card comes up
and says that the card BIOS timed out.

The last one that died I replaced with this (pardon the FreeBSD):

laplace# mfiutil show adapter
mfi0 Adapter:
     Product Name: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9261-8i
    Serial Number: SV11213811
         Firmware: 12.12.0-0073
      RAID Levels: JBOD, RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID6, RAID10, RAID50
   Battery Backup: present
            NVRAM: 32K
   Onboard Memory: 512M
   Minimum Stripe: 8K
   Maximum Stripe: 1M

But like I said, you HAVE to get the BBU or else the card will disable
the cache no matter what the settings are.  I'm pretty sure the 3Ware
does the same thing too.

Dan