[lug] Reliable SATA server?

Andrew Hoffman sixgod at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 17:14:47 MDT 2012

If I remember correctly we ran across an issue using consumer sata drives
in a raid array. With a dell controller and segate sata drives.
I did some looking around and I recall this being the issue:

These threads talk about modifying the drive's time limit on error
recovery.  This may well be relevant: a long delay caused by a drive's
error recovery procedure may fool the RAID system into thinking that the
drive is dead.

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=ata_drives&thread.id=10695

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=ata_drives&thread.id=11830

That is most likely the issue you are seeing with your drives. Its not that
they are dead or dying its that they are timing out and causing the
raid controller to flip out.

Western digital makes a class of hard drives similar to the black series
tiltled re2, re3, re4 etc.

This drive the RE4 works with raid.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136579

This does not:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792

I'll leave it up to you to research further but this sounds close.

-Andy