[lug] java in iceweasel on debian

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Tue May 15 17:45:02 MDT 2012

Davide, you bring up a good issue...

AFAIK there is NO good way to post real interactive content to
the web.  If a person wanted a real program (more than just
onclick) to run on the client, the contenders are ...

  Flash - ubiquitous, with ubiquitous security holes and a
          primitive language (IMHO!)
  Java  - klunky, often not supported, tricky dependencies on versions
  SVG   - very limited programming language, not supported in all browsers
  HTML5 - very limited programming language, not supported in all browsers
  Javascript - widely supported, but wide differences in browser implementations
  Dart - Google's attempt to replace Javascript.  Haven't heard
         a word about it since it was announced.  DOA?

Seems to me Javascript is becoming the sort-of standard.
I say "sort of" because it requires thick layers to shield
the programmer from all the implementation differences.
Your thoughts?

Steve

Steve Sullivan      sullivan at mathcom.com
720-587-7498        http://www.mathcom.com