[lug] stupid encrypted hard disk question

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri May 18 11:41:22 MDT 2012

I have a really stupid encrypted hard disk question.

I have a system with two drives, each with three partitions.  There's a
small RAID-1 partition for /boot, a small non-RAID partition for swap
(giving two swap partitions in total - there's no point in using RAID with
swap), and the third partition is a fairly standard stack:

 - LVM
 - encryption
 - RAID

The issue is that when I boot the system it brings me to the login screen.
Shouldn't it take me to a screen to enter a decryption password for the big
partition? If it's reading the password from somewhere in the /boot
partition doesn't that defeat the whole purpose for the encryption?

In contrast my Windows disk encryption requires me to enter a password
before it starts booting the system at all.