[lug] insane Gigabyte issue

Steven A Hart shart at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jun 7 11:53:59 MDT 2012

Zan,

Thanks.  I've tried to discount all the other hardware as best I can.
No attached USB devices unless I was trying to boot from a bootable usb
stick, I've tried with the DVD not connected via SATA at all, and I've
tried multiple hard drives that test as good on other systems.

I did not consider a bad SATA cable.  I'll test that ASAP.  I'll also
double check the stand-offs.

Thanks for the hints!

Steve

On 06/07/2012 11:43 AM, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 10:58 -0600, Steven A Hart wrote:
>> I'm having an issue with a Gigabyte motherboard and I'm hoping someone
>> else may have seen this issue as well and maybe has a solution.
>>
>> Here's the setup:
>>
>> GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3
>> G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3
>> 12800)
>> AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+
>> ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
>> COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS700-PCAAE3-US 700W ATX 12V
>> Seagate 500GB SATA2 Hard drive
>>
>> Here's the problem:
>>
>> regardless of what I'm trying to install (RHEL6, Memtest bootable CD,
>> windows, etc), The BIOS posts, then says Loading Operating system,
>> then sits there like a dumb shit.  This is the 2nd Gigabyte
>> motherboard I've seen this on so I do not think it's a bad MB.  I
>> first tried it with a GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ motherboard and could
>> not get it to work so I RMA'd it and got the one listed above under
>> the setup.
> If this is the second motherboard did you consider your other hardware?
> You should unplug all USB devices, hard drives and DVDs. See if it gives
> you a boot error. Then try booting from a USB stick. Then try your hard
> drive, or try a different hard drive.
>
> I have seen weird boot errors like this with bad drive cables or bad
> drives. If the motherboard does not get a command response from the
> drive it should time out. But perhaps it gets a garbled response or half
> of one or something and goes off into the wild blue.
>
> Also make sure that you *reload* the optimized defaults, not just look
> at it and see it is set. This is especially necessary after a BIOS
> update because sometimes the locations of stuff in the CMOS memory
> change.
>
> My Gigabyte board has an actual physical button I can push to restore
> BIOS defaults. I can't remember at the moment if I have to push it
> before after or during power-on, but it's in the manual.
>
> Also, if this system has never worked, double-check the stand-offs and
> screw posts behind the motherboard. A friend of mine had very odd issues
> once because he had a metal screw post in the wrong place and it was
> grounding something on the board. You could have also done something
> weird like leaving a screw rattling around back there.

Steve Hart
Systems Administrator
Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research
University of Colorado Boulder
Steven.Hart at colorado.edu
(303)492-8109