[lug] insane Gigabyte issue

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Thu Jun 7 18:02:34 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 15:57 -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 14:54 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 13:28 -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> > > Is it a BIOS or UEFI?  The latter may not work with anything but
> > > Windows.
> >
> > Just for info: I put my Samsung laptop into UEFI mode just for fun when
> > I installed Fedora 16 and it works fine. Well, mostly.
>
> Yeah, but I think F16 is a "valid" OS now that they paid MS for the
> privilege.  Or so I read recently (can't remember where, but likely via
> Slashdot).

No. That is something Fedora is considering for F18 and as far as I
know, isn't a final decision.

Until Windows 8 is released to manufacturing, there are no UEFI systems
using enforced security with a Microsoft key. Those systems would not be
able to boot anything.

--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts