[lug] insane Gigabyte issue

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jun 7 21:40:23 MDT 2012

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 21:36:44 -0600
"David L. Anselmi" <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> Anthony Foiani wrote:
> > Good luck; my recollection is that the ARM boards *will* be locked
> > to Win8 only.  It's the x86 boards that wintel is grudgingly
> > opening up.
>
> Matt Garrett thinks some will be but many will not:
>
> http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html

Yeah, to quote:

"Microsoft's certification requirements for ARM machines forbid vendors
from offering the ability to disable secure boot or enrol user keys.
While we could support secure boot in the same way as we plan to on
x86, it would prevent users from running modified software unless they
paid money for a signing key. We don't find that acceptable and so have
no plans to support it.

Thankfully this shouldn't be anywhere near as much of a problem as it
would be in the x86 world. Microsoft have far less influence over the
ARM market, and the only machines affected by this will be the ones
explicitly designed to support Windows. If you want to run Linux on ARM
then there'll be no shortage of hardware available to you."

I don't see that many windows 8 client compatible ARM devices being
sold next to the vast number of them that should work fine with
Linux. ;)

Also, ARM folks don't even have UEFI working yet... so it's going to be
a while before that even happens at all.

kevin