[lug] Remote command tools.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jun 30 20:00:11 MDT 2012

I could swear there used to be a tool called calypso, used for machine configuration control, among
other things.  Now I find nothing.  Am I misremembering the name or does such a tool exist?

The tool was something that you could configure with lists of commands and lists of machines and mix
and match them.  Then when you said go, the set of commands would be executed on the set of machines
(probably in parallel via ssh).

So for configuration control, that could be used to install things from a tar file, or deploy web
apps, etc.

The use case I'm describing overlaps with the use of puppet or chef, but this was a different tool.
  Significantly, it pushed the changes to the clients, where puppet generally pulls them.

What I'm thinking of might be similar to Salt (http://saltstack.org/) but I'm sure that's not the name.

So if you've never heard of calypso, what's a good tool to run a series of commands on many machines
at once (preferably in parallel, with output grouped by machine, and with sane error propagation
(i.e. I can tell whether the commands failed on any machines, and which failed)).

Thanks!
Dave