[lug] Fwd: Where would you go to learn this stuff?

Mon Jul 23 13:09:53 MDT 2012

Michael's entire response was excellent. I'm just going to add my two pesos.

1. I love books.

For "unix system calls", this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Programming-Interface-System-Handbook/dp/1593272200/

For "network stuph", this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Wireshark-Network-Analysis-Official-Certified/dp/1893939995/

and this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Nmap-Network-Scanning-Official-Discovery/dp/0979958717/

2. You gotta do something. Reading about and talking about it, and even doing hands-on prescriptive labs, is NOT ENOUGH.

Install VirtualBox or Vmware Workstation or just use KVM, and build a distributed system.

3. Get the merit badge.

Take the exam for (whatever). As you study for a certification exam, you will learn all the important parts of (whatever) that you might not run into on your own. For example, Red Hat Linux certification: I can't tell you how many grey-beards I've taught how to use screen, and about ssh keys...

--
David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.