[lug] MySQL vs PostgreSQL

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:28:16 MDT 2012

> Somebody has a PostgreSQL system.
> They want to do an entire new large data warehouse.
> I used to work with Postgres, now with MySQL.
> It seems I just don't see Postgres mentioned that much any more.
> Would it be best to build the new data warehouse on MySQL?
> Any comments on one over the other?

Maybe it's because of what my friends do, but for me it's the other
way around: I don't hear much about MySQL, especially after the sale
of the MySQL company to Sun, then the purchase of Sun from Oracle -
and MySQL principal developer forking it and calling it MariaDB.

There is a PostgreSQL conference in Denver, google it and you'll see
the attendees list and sponsors, so you'll know who's using it nearby,
which I think is good to know.

Cheers,
Davide