[lug] Follow up: Best OS for big Oracle data warehouse?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 07:38:56 MDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Aaron Nichols <anichols at trumped.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Gordon Golding <gordongoldin at aim.com> wrote:
>>
>> I forgot to add a point - This data warehouse will be getting a major 24/7
>> feed from a MS Sequel Server database.
>>

> We've found substantial performance improvements for an Oracle OLTP database
> running on Oracle Enterprise Linux vs. CentOS. Workload is probably
> different than your datawarehouse but the OEL kernel is clearly tuned for
> Oracle db performance.

Except for minor improvements/trivialities the OEL software is the
exact equivalent of RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux/etc. If you are going
to run an Oracle site, why not stick with the version recommended by
Oracle? I've used it and found no problems specific to OEL. The Rel6
variants are all somewhat problematic in our environment (ldap, backup
supprt (requires an upgrade to our backup software that we are not
prepared for at present)).

Just stick with OEL. I don't really know whether Oracle is fully
certified under SuSE, etc.Any problems you encounter with supporting
MSSQL will not likely be distro-specific.

--
Collins Richey