[lug] MySQL vs PostgreSQL

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Aug 7 14:42:12 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 14:16 -0600, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:

> Not to mention that not even once, since we switched, has PG failed, or
> corrupted our data, ever. I can not say the same for my experience with MySQL.

I agree that Postgres is great. The place I work has used it for many
years.

It isn't completely bulletproof though. We did have an index corruption
happen once. It took a while to figure that out. Incomplete query
results, duplicate unique keys, and invalid foreign key constraints were
a few of the problems this caused. We had to shut everything down and do
a complete reindex of a very large table. It took something like six
hours of downtime, including cleaning up the duplicate keys, etc.

This could have possibly been hardware failure instead of a Postgres
failure. A confused RAID controller, a lost SCSI command... Too hard to
tell after the fact.

Once in seven years isn't too bad a record I guess. :-)
--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts