[lug] Home Network Question

John Hernandez jph at jph.net
Mon Aug 20 09:23:56 MDT 2012

Rob, I do not think dual-homing every host on the network is the best
solution.  It's complicated to manage, and it doesn't scale well.
Each machine will need reliable information about the state of each
ISP in order to decide how to source packets.

Instead, I would suggest that he set both ISP's modems to function as
bridges (no routing), connect both to a single router running flexible
firmware like dd-wrt, and do the routing (either load-balancing or
active/standby) and NAT on the dd-wrt router.  Granted, the WAN router
is a single point of failure, but if he wants protection from provider
outages, this covers it with minimal fuss.  There are many choices for
cheap and rock solid routers that can handle sub-100Mbps rates.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_WAN_with_failover

On the question of DNS for his server, some options include:

1) his router can update a Dynamic DNS service whenever its primary
WAN IP address changes.
2) he can run an authoritative DNS server, set a low TTL, and figure
out how to provide the proper answer himself.
3) use a service like http://edgedirector.com/