[lug] Home Network Question

Ryan Newby renewby at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 09:26:43 MDT 2012

There are services like dynamic DNS your friend could use. With DDNS you
can failover to a different IP in case one service provider fails, and is
common in DR scenarios.
To handle routing for both ISPs you can have multiple default gateways on
your router, each route set with a metrics. For example give the gateway
address of ISP #1 a routing metric of 5, and ISP a routing metric of 10.If
ISP #1 becomes unreachable, then the gateway of ISP #2 will become active
until #1 is back up.

Your friend could buy a cheap refurbished router online to do this (like an
old Cisco 2600 router).

Depending on how much your friend wants to spend, they may want to check
out http://www.mushroomnetworks.com/home.aspx

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Bear Giles <bgiles at coyotesong.com> wrote:

> I remember Robert Cringely referring to a double-provisioned router in his
> home but have no idea if it's still on the market, how much it costs, etc.
> I think he may have had a more advanced setup though where he was a peer
> node instead of being a client on two ISPs.
>
> Bear
>

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Dan Ferris <dan at usrsbin.com> wrote:
>
>> pfSense is an open source web base firewall.  It's BSD based, but it
>> DOES handle multiple gateways.  I use it with 2 gateways at work. One
>> primary and a failover/backup.
>>
>> You can just install it on a firewall with 2 NICs, one to each provider.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> On 8/20/2012 8:08 AM, Robert Racansky wrote:
>> > I have a friend who has two internet service providers (ISPs) running
>> > to his house: Wispertel/Skybeam and Century Link.
>> >
>> > He is setting up his home network so that each P.C. at home has two
>> > network cards, with a connection to each ISP's modem.  i.e., each P.C.
>> > will have one connection to the Wispertel modem, and one connection to
>> > the Century Link modem.
>> >

>> > Question:  How would you set up the network so that one device,
>> > instead of two, routes for the entire network?
>> >

>> > Diagram and details at
>> > http://www.peeniewallie.com/2012/08/robs-home-network.html
>> >

>> > Feel free to answer on this e-mail list (which he does not read, but
>> > I'll forward to him) and/or leave a comment at the URL above.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> Join us on IRC: irc.hackingsociety.org port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety

Ryan Newby
email:renewby at gmail.com
phone:303-720-9498