[lug] Getting eth0 to work

Gary Hodges gary.hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 12 14:06:11 MDT 2012

I have a few very small "brick" style computers.  With a previous
version of these things I was able to install ubuntu 10.04 server
without a hitch.  The new models have caused me a lot of headaches.  I
now have one running with ubuntu 10.04 desktop, and one with debian
6.0.5.  Never could get 10.04 server installed, but I'll leave that for
another day.

eth0 worked right out of the box with debian, but not with the ubuntu
machine, which up to now I have been using a USB -> Ethenet adapter on.
  I'd really like to get the on-board ethernet working on the ubuntu
machine.  Can I use the debian install as guidance to get the ubuntu
machine going?

This is from the debian machine:
user at debian:~$ dmesg | grep eth
[    9.667858] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
[   20.183612] eth0: no IPv6 routers present