[lug] Have Internet providers been discussed recently?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Sep 12 16:14:58 MDT 2012

I think the benefits with business, besides better responsiveness, is the
upstream bandwidth and more reliable downstream bandwidth.

Remember that no residential provider will provide 100 households with 10
Mbps bandwidth a pipe that's 1000 Mbps wide. It's always going to be less
since the provider knows that some people will be on vacation, others will
be doing other things than surfing or watching online videos, etc. And if
the system is heavily loaded because everyone is downloading youtube videos
of cute kittens then it's still just a problem until the video is fully
downloaded and buffered.

I don't know the current ratios but I thought it was around 20% for awhile,
that is it assumed that 80% of the users were inactive (e.g., reading the
web page they just downloaded) at any time. Obviously that would have had
to been bumped as youtube and hulu took off.

Business users would get a bigger slice of that pie.