[lug] Backing out yum upgrades

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Sep 25 12:55:01 MDT 2012

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:30:39 -0600
"Jeffrey S. Haemer" <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to do regular package updates on my CentOS 6.2 boxes.  I'd
> also like to be able to back out selected updates if users say,
> "*Noooo ...*"
>
> I've experimented with individual packages and haven't yet been able
> to back anything out. I'm even using advice from The Internets, so it
> must be me. Anyone have helpful advice?

...snip...

>    1. I originally installed puppet-2.6.16, which came from epel.
>    2. I saw, from "yum check-updates," that there was an available
> update for puppet.
>    3. I ran "yum update puppet," which installed 2.6.17.
>    4. I tried to downgrade to 2.6.16.
>    5. Yum commissioned me "Major Loser."
>

> What should I be trying instead? [Yeah, yeah.]

The problem is that it needs to have the old package available
somewhere in order to downgrade to it.

Simple fix would be to grab that version from the buildsystem:

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/puppet/2.6.16/1.el6/noarch/puppet-2.6.16-1.el6.noarch.rpm

then 'yum downgrade ./puppet-2.6.16-1.el6.noarch.rpm'

Better perhaps would be to keep copies of old packages locally.

There's a yum plugin called yum-plugin-local that takes all the
packages you install and keeps them in a local repo. Of course that
could take up a lot of disk space over time.

Hope that helps.

kevin