[lug] Controling Fedora fixes...

Mike Stanczyk stanczyk at pcisys.net
Thu Oct 4 13:03:24 MDT 2012

I've got a Fedora problem and I don't know the *right* question to ask Google.

Fedora 17 is pushing the 3.5.x kernel on software updates.  This is a problem
because my Dell Latitude D610 will NOT boot a 3.5.x kernel.  Known bug.  I
won't comment about pushing out an unstable kernel on an automatic update
system until I can do so without NSFW language.

I was able to boot Fedora 17 with an F16 kernel and installed a F17 3.4.5
(I think) kernel package.  But this leaves me with a problem: F17 is going
to bring in 3.5.x kernels and try and push out the 3.4 kernel.  It also
leaves me without a kernel that is getting security updates.

So can I install a kernel package that will receive updates and not brick
my laptop?

Mike