[lug] Controling Fedora fixes...

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Oct 4 14:50:06 MDT 2012

On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 13:35:50 -0600
Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:

> On 10/04/2012 01:03 PM, Mike Stanczyk wrote:
> > I've got a Fedora problem and I don't know the *right* question to
> > ask Google.
> >
> > Fedora 17 is pushing the 3.5.x kernel on software updates.  This is
> > a problem because my Dell Latitude D610 will NOT boot a 3.5.x
> > kernel.  Known bug.  I won't comment about pushing out an unstable
> > kernel on an automatic update system until I can do so without NSFW
> > language.
> >
> > I was able to boot Fedora 17 with an F16 kernel and installed a F17
> > 3.4.5 (I think) kernel package.  But this leaves me with a problem:
> > F17 is going to bring in 3.5.x kernels and try and push out the 3.4
> > kernel.  It also leaves me without a kernel that is getting
> > security updates.
> >
> > So can I install a kernel package that will receive updates and not
> > brick my laptop?
> >
> > Mike
>
> I would set UPDATEDEFAULT=no in /etc/sysconfig/kernel and make sure
> your 3.4 kernel is the default in grub.  yum won't remove the running
> kernel when doing kernel updates so your 3.4 kernel will stick around
> and you can periodically try the new kernels to test for a fix.

I'd further advise to make sure you have a bug filed on the issue with
the Fedora kernel folks... they get a lot of bugs, but they do a pretty
good job of fixing big issues like this.

Is this a ati/amd video machine? There were some big fixes for them in
the very latest f17 kernel that went out.

kevin