[lug] Why is it SO easy to destroy cloud environments?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Oct 22 07:56:06 MDT 2012

The cynical among us would say it's also because we leave no stone unturned
in our efforts to maximize profits for some (but not all) businesses. I
don't know if or what other countries pay for their standards but here it
can be quite expensive to get a copy of the actual standards.

Worse there is a growing tendency of small governments to incorporate
standards 'as a whole' in local legislation like building code. That, by
itself, isn't a problem. What is a problem is that people can't know what
the law is unless they're willing to shell out a few hundred bucks to a
private company. They can't know if they're violating the law, they can't
know if somebody else harming them while violating the law and they don't
have to fight them alone.

There are a lot of problems with government-backed standards but there's
also a lot of benefits in making sure there's an even playing field.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 7:05 AM, Jeffrey S. Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com