[lug] Scripting question

Paul Nowosielski paulnowosielski at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 20:04:21 MST 2012

Dear All,

I am trying to monitor bandwidth on a high traffic VPS web server
running CentOS 5.

When I run the scripts from the command line it works perfectly and
gives an output like this:

Fri Dec 21 02:40:12 CET 2012

Bandwith out:
274G

Bandwidth in:
85G

When I run this as a cron job I get this:

Fri Dec 21 03:00:01 CET 2012

Bandwith out:

Bandwidth in:

As you can see I am not getting the output data when using cron and do
not understand why.

Here is the commands I am running and the script I call:

/bin/date >> /root/scripts/bandwTest; /root/scripts/bandwidth.sh >>
/root/scripts/bandwTest;

bandwidth.sh

cat scripts/bandwidth.sh

#!/bin/sh

echo
echo "Bandwith out:"
iptables -L -v |grep OUTPUT |awk '{print $7}'
echo
echo "Bandwidth in:"
iptables -L -v |grep INPUT |awk '{print $7}'
echo

Could anyone on this list provide some insight into this?

Thank you and happy holidays,

Paul