[lug] Thunderbird, Enigmail, and MIME encapsulation

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Thu Dec 20 21:31:07 MST 2012

Hi Folks.

Having some trouble with encrypted e-mail. But before I spend a bunch of
time digging into it -- setting up a test environment with Thunderbird,
reading RFCs etc., I thought I'd bounce it up here for a sanity check. I
could be just way off right at the start.

I've used encrypted e-mail in the past, no problem. I use Sylpheed and
GnuPG. I recently started correspondence with someone who uses
Thunderbird and Enigmail, on a Mandriva system. Problem is, the mail I
get from her looks like:

[snip]

Sylpheed doesn't realize this is something to decrypt.

I'm expecting encrypted mail to look more like:

followed by the appropriate boundaries and the message block.

So, I think this is bug in Thunderbird/Enigmail, and encrypted mail
shouldn't be arriving with a text/plain content type. Or am I just all
wet? (Yes, I know, if you encrypt outside your MUA, encode it, and
paste it into the message, that's what will happen.)

TIA,
jed