[lug] Free Software in Schools

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Fri Dec 21 14:50:45 MST 2012

I'm guessing the entire issue will be sidestepped in a decade or so by
Coursera and the like.  Kids will get their education from the best
educators in the world.  It's starting with college:

http://campustechnology.com/articles/2009/10/28/most-college-students-to-take-classes-online-by-2014.aspx

Just as I and my colleagues work from home, college students will do
the same.  Many already are.  It's only a matter of time before it
trickles down to HS.  Indeed, it already has in Boulder:

http://bvsd.org/boulderuniversal/Pages/default.aspx

I know several kids who are not compatible with the
sit-still-in-the-classroom and learn-at-the-same-pace approach to
education of the 19th century who "go to" Boulder Universal and are
thriving.

How's that for not being a "fanboy"? ;-)

Rob