[lug] Free Software in Schools

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 12:31:31 MST 2012

Thank you and everybody else for the answers.

> Right, but as stated in my last point, public school budgets are not
> "agile". Even if they were to save money on hardware or software, the
> chances of that money finding it's way to fund something else at the school
> are near zero.

I find this horrible. And yet one more reason to sign the petition
[1]. In fact, most of you have slightly but essentially changed the
subject of my discussion from <<sign a petition that says "White
House, please make something to make it easier for schools to use Open
Source Software">> to <<it's useless to ask schools to use open source
software because of "insert your reason here">>. Note that the
petition uses language such as "promote" and "as much as possible",
it's not a petition to "force everybody to use Open Source - period".

Some of these "insert your reason here" (e.g. this funds cannot be
moved among different but related accounts such hw and sw) can be
surely fixed by the gov't (not sure if WH, or congress) if they
wanted. Thus signing is even more important

Merry Christmas.
Davide

[1]: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/promote-use-free-software-our-schools-libre-office-gimp-gnu-cash-and-other-gpl-software-which-cost/T1xGw1fZ