[lug] Low power servers.

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 09:41:01 MST 2012

What defines "low power" for you? I have a couple of boxes based on C7 or
Atom processors on Mini-itx boards that pull under 50 watts at the wall.
Most people would consider that low power, but it's a lot more than the Rpi
and the Sheeva plug-like systems you mention draw. The advantage being that
they are considerably more powerful as well, which makes them more flexible
and is why I ultimately went that route. It was worth ~20 watts to me to
get better performance and have something that was a little less quirky to
deal with.

When I chose these systems several years ago I had played with using things
like Routerboards and some of the hackable router and NAS boxes that were
out there, which was fun, but it was more of a hassle than I would want to
deal with day-to-day. If I were building one of these boxes today though, I
would give something like this a real hard look:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/vab_800