[lug] Low power servers.

Aaron Nichols anichols at trumped.org
Wed Dec 26 11:20:39 MST 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Bear Giles <bgiles at coyotesong.com> wrote:

> I've been a fan of atom-based 'booksize' systems (see newegg.com) in the
> past but they may be hopelessly outdated now.

I recently bought something like this and there are some reasonably modern
systems available that are about the size of an apple mini. If you search
'nettop' on amazon or newegg you'll get some good examples. You can find a
reasonable system for $300-$400 with an Atom or AMD equivalent processor
and a few gig of ram. Some of these have USB3 and newegg has recently been
running deals on some of them where you can get a 'free' SSD with certain
models.

I'm running openelec on mine off an SD card, but they should just as easily
run a variety of Linux/BSD versions depending on the hardware.

Aaron