[lug] Private yum install tree?

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 14:51:34 MST 2012

Have you googled relocatable RPMs? I've done a little research on this (in
RHEL) and ended up rebuilding from source for two reasons:

1) relocatable RPMs not always worked the way we wanted them to, namely,
the maintainer often times is hardcoding the full root-only path of
libraries and the likes. Of course this can be changed, hacked, etc, but
the effort to fix it often times is much more than downloading the tarball
and typing ./configure --prefix=/your/tree && make && make install

2) RHEL packages often times are so old to be almost useless. Downloading
the latest (stable of development tarball, your choice) and typing
./configure --prefix=/your/tree && make && make install gives you something
much more useful.

Of course you have to balance these pluses with the dependency hell (a
simple "I need to install this single thing" can quickly become "I need to
install a hundreds of packages").

HTH even if is fro RHEL and not CentOS, or at least with the "relocatable"
keyword to keep searching.

Happy New Year,
Davide