[lug] How does bash "set -e" work?

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 17:23:59 MST 2013

Lee,

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Lee Woodworth <blug-mail at duboulder.com>wrote:

> My cold-addled brain is having a difficulty reconciling the documnetation
> of set -e with observed behavior for bash.

I think the documentation is muddled for this, too.

(Actually, that's why I started by checking the behavior on bash, bash
--posix, zsh, dash, and the busybox shell. I wanted to see what existing
practice was. That way, if the documentation didn't describe the behavior,
I'd know whether it was a bash issue or a bash-man-page issue. If you have
easy access to an AIX system, it'd be nice to test this on ksh, too.)

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell], http://seejeffrun.blogspot.com [blog],