[lug] Redhat 6 server will not boot

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jan 17 09:35:43 MST 2013

Richard Mandel wrote:
> Got into the machine with my Fedora 17 USB stick. The Xorg log files showed
> that there was a fatal server error caused by a corrupted xorg.conf file.

So it sounds like it wasn't hanging, just failing to start X.

In that case you could use a VC or SSH to see what it's up to.

I worked with a highly paid consultant once who wanted to reinstall a machine in that situation.  I
showed him how to fix the config from a VC.  His background was all IBM but we were moving to Linux.
  They didn't want my help on the project :-(

Dave