[lug] SElinux and Fedora Rescue?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Fri Jan 18 12:15:13 MST 2013

Hi,

I just had to do a simple rescue of an older Fedora 16 system (updated a couple days ago) which had partial hardware failure. The issue is that it had two nVidia video cards in SLI configuration, and one died. As a result, the bad video card was removed, which had originally been the primary card. The xorg.conf line had to be changed from bus 4 to bus 5. No other changes were made.

During the reboot there was a massive relabel of SElinux labels. I'm curious as to why this one change would have occurred? All I can think of is that there may have been files automatically changed which would reflect the lack of the second video card. But it was a lot of files. An alternate possibility is that when the card originally failed something happened while attempting boot.

Anyone have an idea why SElinux would be so involved with such a simple change?