[lug] cdrom device disappears on xubuntu

Simos blug at chinesetearoom.com
Mon Feb 11 18:33:26 MST 2013

> Hi,
>
> Here's a silly question.
> When I put an audio cdrom in my xubuntu 12 laptop it plays.
> Great!  But I want to copy the files and cannot find the device.
>
> /media is empty.
>
> mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /tta
> gives: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0, ...
> with syslog full of messages like:
>   isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sr0, iso_blknum=16, block=16
>   Sense Key : Illegal Request
>
> mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /tta
> does the same thing.
>
> What did they do with the cdrom device??
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Steve

Steve,

By "audio cdrom" do you mean a standard audio CD?

I'm probably stating the obvious, but standard audio Compact Discs
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc) do not have filesystems
on them. You can copy ("rip") the audio data from them with something
like cdparanoia. Other tools and file managers may show you the audio
tracks as if they were files in a mounted filesystem, but they are really
"faking it".

Simos