[lug] Emergency with samba shares

Richard Mandel richard at linuxsupportguys.com
Mon Mar 11 10:37:53 MDT 2013

The long and the short of it - I am in deep stuff... and I need PAID help
from someone expert in Linux/Samba/XP client shares of Samba.

Help.....

A major server crash on an ancient Debian 4 machine housing all network
shares, common shares available to all authenticated Samba users and private
shares of a private H: drive for individual users. Reloading of Debian 4 on
a new machine was a waste of time since Etch is no longer supported in any
real way. Debian 5 caused problems, so I went to Ubuntu 12.

Reloaded the data from backup, reconstructed Samba, but instead of using the
old LDAP, I went with "security = user" which I thought would be much
easier.

After battling permissions and user accounts from the old data to the new
machine, it now works to get users on the Domain, but they can't access
their private drives/directories on the Samba server, so their XP clients
are all screwed up with missing Desktop icons, missing XP programs and the
like.

Can anyone work with me on an emergency basis?

Thanks,

Richard Mandel
Linux Support Guys

 <mailto:richard at linuxsupportguys.com> richard at linuxsupportguys.com     .
<http://www.linuxsupportguys.com/> www.LinuxSupportGuys.com
5323 Pennsylvania Ave     .     Boulder CO  80303  .  USA
Phone, Mobile and SMS: +1-303-499-1525
Fax: +1-815-301-9057