[lug] Fwd: Pi Day is coming

Stephen Queen svqueen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 12:27:29 MDT 2013

When my wife bakes a pie (ref back to pie day), she just eyeballs all of
the measurements anyhow. She never cooks or bakes the same thing twice. I
usually only estimate things too. When I went for a walk, it was about 2
miles. When I was in the service, the M16A1 rifle was about 39 inches long,
so when I think of a meter, I think about the length of that rifle I had to
carry. I can't really envision 1000 rifles lined up butt to barrel any more
than I can envision 5280 of my feet toe to heel.
I do enjoy asking someone raised outside of the US whether they think that
nut is 1/2" or 9/16". ( I can't usually tell either, but I've met people
who could see metric and US.)
Now if you want to talk about things that confuse me, lets talk about all
the different datams that my GPS allows me to select from. What is that all
about?