[lug] email client for linux

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Mar 19 22:59:02 MDT 2013

Davide Del Vento wrote:
> One thing that greatly bothers me with
> Thunderbird, is that if I have a conversation and then archive it or
> move it to a folder, when someone later reply to that conversation, I
> got the new message in inbox, but I do not get the rest of the
> conversation, nor any information about where I stored it.

I agree with Jed.  My inbox is mostly one to one emails that don't really need a conversation.  If
there are many people involved that's what a mailing list is for, and those are easy to filter to
their own folder where the conversation lives.

> 2) it looks like sylpheed stores each email as an individual message.
> While this seems a good way to solve the corruption issues that
> plagued early versions of Thunderbird, it looks like an even better
> way to tax the filesystem, both in terms of seeks and in terms of
> inodes.

It seems unlikely that this is a real problem.  I've run across many references to maildir/MH being
better than mbox.  I haven't seen anyone go back to mbox because they have too much mail.  But I
don't have any first hand experience yet.  (I do have a lot of mail that goes back many years but
I'd thought to move maildir when I move to imap rather than one and then the other.  Maybe I should
convert it to maildir and stick it in git and skip imap altogether.)

You might have a look at notmuch for searching.  I don't know how it works with sylpheed but it
comes well recommended.

Dave