[lug] Password Migration Problems

Swavek Skret swavek.skret at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 11:55:43 MDT 2013

Hi all,

I am experiencing a problem when migrating passwords on my linux system.
The system has only /etc/passwd file and not /etc/shadow etc. The problem
is that when I install the /etc/passwd file (with the new passwords in it;
yes it is an old system, one where the passwords appear to be stored in the
/etc/passwd file for each user entry between the ':' separators) on the
same kind but a new system, the system acts as if the passwords have not
been updated. That's all despite that the /etc/passwd file does have the
new password entry. It looks to me as if there was some other place/entity
that I would need to push to the new system for these new password to take
effect. I noticed is that when I do change the password manually, there
appears to be this "/etc/passwd-" file. It is not clear to me what this
does (googling it did not show anything). Does anyone know about the
"/etc/passwd-" file or possibly another place to update/adjust/configure to
migrate the passwords successfully?

Thanks,
Swavek