[lug] What's on your Desktop?

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 15:51:28 MDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Maxwell Spangler <
maxlists at maxwellspangler.com> wrote:

>  I'm giving a chat at NCLUG and BLUG in May about Linux desktop user
> interfaces like Gnome Shell.
>

> As part of my research, I'd like to know more about your Linux desktop.
>
> If you've got a moment, would you please email me (privately):
>
> 1. What kind of user are you in general?  For example: Software developer,
> web developer, general user, hobbyist.

SW Developer

>  2. What Linux distribution and version do you use ?  (Your primary laptop
> or desktop, not servers or other devices.)

Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS)

 3. What desktop environment do you use?  (If you don't know just say
> default)

Unity (default)

>  4. What specific things on your desktop do you find important to your
> satisfaction?

The ability to launch terminals and browsers. Multiple virtual
desktops/workspaces.  Keyboard shortcuts to switch to other windows and
desktops. A terminal emulator with easy-to-switch profiles, so I can assign
different colors to different ssh sessions (to different machines). An icon
that notifies me of new mail.  An easy way to change the volume level of my
headphones.

An easy way to find my mouse pointer, when the desktop supports it.

 5. Optional but highly desired: Send me a screenshot of your desktop.
> Describe it if you like, especially if you're particular or proud of it.

I'm not at work, but it's just a bunch of terminal windows.

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell], http://seejeffrun.blogspot.com [blog],