[lug] Similar to Rasberry Pi?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Fri Apr 26 11:30:23 MDT 2013

Hi,

I've been toying around with all the fun things one could with the Rasberry Pi SBC. It's astonishing how useful this little, inexpensive device could be. However, what I was thinking of doing requires two separate USB ports (not a hub), and Rasberry Pi has only one. I don't even need all of the features of Rasberry Pi, I could live without video display (though one output which works with a computer monitor would be nice). I don't need networking...although it would be nice. The RTC would be good, but Rasberry Pi does allow adding this through the GPIO pins. Looks like Rasberry Pi can use a 2.6 kernel, which I would need. Audio would be very useful to tinker with, but not mandatory for what I'm thinking of...nice to have, but not mandatory. So...Rasberry Pi has everything except that second pesky USB port.

I went looking for similar single board computers, and found several which might work. Except these are from manufacturers uninterested in publishing a price, or the price is in euros or pounds. Those that do have a price are at minimum more than $200 beyond the price of Rasberry Pi, even when they lack features to compete with Rasberry Pi. More ram would be nice compared to Rasberry Pi, but not really needed, and certainly not worth $200 dollars.

So...is there a specific SBC to Rasberry Pi which someone here has worked with, having two separate USB ports...maybe even some audio or networking...and running a 2.6 kernel...in the $100 range? If not, what are the SBCs people here have used which are closest to Rasberry Pi and having the 2.6 kernel and dual USB ports?

Thanks!