[lug] Install 'Linux' on a used (i.e. refurb/cheap) Pentium computer: need help/advice

Paul Condon pecondon1 at gmail.com
Sun May 12 08:52:25 MDT 2013

I have done this type of install before, but a long time ago. Now.
everything I try fails. Because I thought I knew how to do it, I haven't
asked for help. too proud? too embarrassed?
I purchased a used computer from Action Computers in Arvada. The people
in the store said that they did not support Linux, but, based on my
previous experience, I thought what support do I need? So begins a long
journey. Much too long to fit in an initial post to this list. Much too
unbelievable unless the reader can see and touch the hardware. I have
many install CDs burnt on
various dates from iso images of Debian at various stages of
development. Does the Debian install process no longer work unless one
uses some special new secret sauce?

When and where is the next Install Fest? I hope it is soon.