[lug] Install 'Linux' on a used (i.e. refurb/cheap) Pentium computer: need help/advice

Paul Condon pecondon1 at gmail.com
Sun May 12 14:03:14 MDT 2013

On 05/12/2013 12:21 PM, Lori R wrote:

> Newer versions (12.04 and greater) of Ububntu will reportedly not boot
> on hardware that does not support PAE, the same may well be true for
> Debian. This link may help.
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-to-install-ubuntu-1204-on-non-pae.html
I think from reading an earlier version of the Wheezy install guide,
mention was made of a problem with pae and ways to deal with it in
Debian. Installing Ubuntu was suggested as an alternative that might
play more nicely than Debian. But reading the above doesn't seem to be
something I can handle. Too many places to make mistakes.

> Other than that, there's little any of us can do without knowing more
> specifics about the hardware and software in question.

Unfortunately for me, that is so. That is why I ask about any upcoming
Install Fest.
One feature of my situation is that there are a lot of read errors
reported on the Alt-F4 screen. and I have no basis for saying that they
are significant vs. results of the probing for information about the
hardware.

> FWIW, I've made a few visits to Action computer and have never been
> impressed with their prices or service.

But you bring up another issue. I am not familiar with this area
although I moved here in 2003, I don't explore much. Action Computer is
where I bought this computer, not a place I'm particularly attached to.
Can you suggest other places to shop for Linux-ready hardware locally? I
live in Lafayette. Is there some Linux friendly computer hardware vendor
north of Denver?  I hope you can recommend something better.

Thanks,
Paul