[lug] Install 'Linux' on a used (i.e. refurb/cheap) Pentium computer: need help/advice

mark mrosczyk at comcast.net
Sun May 12 20:16:00 MDT 2013

I have recently installed Debian Wheezy on a laptop older than the
system you are trying to install on and had no problems.  I would think
it should install fine.
 Some if not all Dell Optiplex GX620 have 64 bit processors and you
should be able to run a 64 bit OS. if you want.  PAE should be no
problem.

> One feature of my situation is that there are a lot of read errors
> reported on the Alt-F4 screen. and I have no basis for saying that
> they are significant vs. results of the probing for information about
> the hardware.

I think this is a problem.  What device was giving the read errors?

> > On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Paul Condon <pecondon1 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >         I have done this type of install before, but a long time
> >         ago. Now.
> >         everything I try fails....

This may be indicating that there is a hardware problem and not that the
versions of linux you are trying won't run on your hardware correctly.

Mark