[lug] Install 'Linux' on a used (i.e. refurb/cheap) Pentium computer: need help/advice

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Mon May 13 02:21:29 MDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Condon <pecondon1 at gmail.com>
To: BLUG <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
Sent: Sun, 12 May 2013 20:03:14 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [lug] Install 'Linux' on a used (i.e. refurb/cheap) Pentium computer: need help/advice
      One feature of my situation is that there are a lot of read errors
      reported on the Alt-F4 screen. and I have no basis for saying that
      they are significant vs. results of the probing for information
      about the hardware.

Read errors from what? If they are from a CD drive then they likely have a lot to do with issues even if you have a version of linux that should install fine. One thing is that some of the older media used a dye which is not necessarily compatible. Same with the drives...not all of the older drives handled shorter wavelengths well. If you have another CD drive (assuming it isn't a HD error), try that. What were the read errors?