[lug] REGEX DEVELOPMENT TOOL

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Tue May 14 13:27:34 MDT 2013

I don't think there's likely to be anything out of the box that will be
terribly useful. Loosely or non-standard text processing like you describe
just doesn't generalize well. Just make sure whatever you build it with has
a robust regex engine. Perl's is probably the best out there, but anything
that is PCRE (or close to PCRE) will be good. For myself, I'd use Ruby.
Their regex engine isn't quite as fast or featureful as Perl's, but I know
the language better so the trade off would be worth it. Python has a good
PCRE lib, but PHPs is terrible (or was, last time I looked), and good ol'
awk (or any other posix or GNU based system) will probably be missing some
features that would make your life easier compared to something more robust.

I have to disagree with the recommendation for TCL though unless you really
know it well already. Their regex engine is a minor extension of the posix
standard, which is pretty limited compared to the others.

This page has a nice comparison of the quirks among the various regex
engines you're likely to find:

http://www.regular-expressions.info/refflavors.html

QH