[lug] Shopping for a thin & light

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue May 21 22:38:08 MDT 2013

I don't know if it meets your specs, but I am super happy with my shiny new
Chromebook Pixel. The high-density screen (2560x1700 pixels, about 240 dpi) is
beautiful and I can't stand to look at the screen on my old Macbook Pro now.
The touchscreen is addictive as a replacement for those times when I want to
use a pointer (for me, this is mostly only to click on hyperlinks in a page).

Linus Torvalds and Greg KH both use Chromebook Pixels now, so I expect the
support will improve.

I'm running Linux Mint on mine.

It isn't all roses! Installation of Linux was non-trivial (but
well-documented). The wireless is imperfect, but usable. I haven't yet followed
the instructions for tweaking the touchpad to have the right sort of
sensitivity and all that. Nonetheless, it is already more usable than my
Macbook Pro (which was running Ubuntu).

If I ever make it to physical BLUG meetup again, I'll show it off. The
high-density screen really has to be seen in person to appreciate it.

Regards,

Zooko