[lug] Modutils?

socket at pop.peakpeak.com socket at pop.peakpeak.com
Tue Jun 4 12:17:20 MDT 2013

> Chris,
>
> I'm not sure specifically, but I can tell you that whenever I've had
> these kinds of problems I either:
>
> 1. Looked for a new driver (kernel bugs ala 3Com)

The driver in Donald Becker's work was last updated 7/19/99.  I'm pretty sure
Mandrake 6.5 is more recent than that.

> 2. Tried putting the card in another PCI slot
>
> 3. Tossed the *&^*$ NIC and put in a Netgear FA310TX ($20) which are
> very well-behaved

Well, sadly, we chose this one because it was $20.  We actually were pondering
the Netgear at CompUSA, but it was $25 here in Colorado Springs.  Blarg.
Anyway, the DLink seems to work with *cough* Windows 98 peer-to-peer.  After a
LOT of work.  I don't know *how* many times we re-setup the networking.

> If it does the same thing with another NIC then I would assume some
> other issue is going on.

I have the sneaking suspicion that somehow modprobe/insmod aren't getting the
argument.  Invalid parameter?  Could that be from a syntax-checker for the
command line arguments?  Is it doing *anything* with the hardware before giving
this error?  A quick grep through the source tree showed me that the error is
coming from modprobe rather than the module.  Doesn't seem to help me much.

> >      This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
> >  DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
> >           Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
> >                      888-600-PEAK
>
> My, you *do* have taste :)

Oh, right. The web interface to my email is nice, but I don't use it much
because I'd rather have my own six-line email signature than my ISP's.  Most of
the people I email find my signature a little more useful.

--
The Other Chris.