No subject

Tue Jun 4 12:17:20 MDT 2013

where Customer.Cust_ID NOT IN
	(select distinct Cust_ID from Invoice where where
	Invoice_Date between '1 Jan 1999' and '1 Jan 2000')

The additional UNION clause can get very, very cumbersome on a complex
statement. Postgresql is supposed to support this in version 7.1.

5)	JDBC suport

We do Java Servlet development so this is a requirement for us. Postgresql
supports this, but the driver is kind of shaky in some respects.

6)	Replication

If you need it, there is no substitute. A friend of mine wrote an app for a
company with 16 branch offices and multiple travelling salesmen. Using
replication, the sales people can have a complete disconnected copy of the
database on their laptop at all times without requiring a LAN/WAN/Internet
connection. When they reconnect, changes that they make to the data are
replicated up to their parent office, and from there up to the headquarters.
SQL Anywhere supports replication in such a way that only each branch's data
is replicated downwards to it. Some large commercial apps like Siebel use
SQL Anywhere for this purpose. It's also useful when you need remote data,
but you are dependent upon an unstable connection. I.E. you have a
monitoring system stuck on a hilltop someplace that needs the database to
perform lookups and also log information. Using a replication system, it's
transparent to your application when the WAN link goes down. When the WAN
link comes up, the database just re-synchronizes. You can do this yourself
but it takes code and is hard to get right.