No subject

Tue Jun 4 12:17:20 MDT 2013

-u    Direct ntpdate to use an unprivileged port or outgoing packets. This is most useful when behind a firewall that blocks incoming traffic to privileged ports, and you want to synchronise with hosts beyond the firewall.

-John

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Glenn> Thanks for the response.  However there is no /etc/ntp/ on my
> Glenn> standard Debian distribution, and I get:
>
> yeah, looks like yours has a /etc/ntp.conf instead.
>
> Glenn> glenn/$ sudo ntpdate time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov 2 Oct 12:58:39
> Glenn> ntpdate[16969]: no server suitable for synchronization found
> Glenn> glenn/$ sudo ntpdate time.nist.gov 2 Oct 12:59:01
> Glenn> ntpdate[16970]: no server suitable for synchronization found
> Glenn> glenn at gems:glenn/$ sudo ntpdate 2 Oct 12:58:06 ntpdate[16967]:
> Glenn> no servers can be used, exiting glenn/$ more /etc/ntp.conf #
> Glenn> Provided off of blug --GM
>
> This might have been covered before, but do you have a firewall of any
> kind setup?
>
> You need to allow port 123 traffic from port 123 traffic (tcp)...
>
> somehow it looks like it's just not getting a response back...
>
> kevin

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |