No subject

Tue Jun 4 12:17:20 MDT 2013

character is...' or 'Connection closed by...' but I think that's normal.  I
do get the error message though, right before I'm disconnected.  On dos I
just get nothing but a cursor, then when I type (no echo) and hit return I
get disconnected: 'Connection to host lost.'

> daemon. Assuming
> you are using RH, run as root first a status check:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/identd status
>
> Assuming it is running, then stop it temporarily:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/identd stop
>
> Try your successful version again. If it fails to allow you in, you

Using SuSE.  Found identd, did this, I was still let in from work.  In fact,
same results all around.
(I'm actually telnetting using securecrt, no SSH.  Should have clarified.)

> that the client end responds to identd requests. So also try the
> reverse, though I'm not certain it will be any more than a subjective
> clue: from the linux box, telnet to port 113 of the
> connecting sources,
> see if things work or fail as before.

Since the machine at work is behind a firewall, I can't telnet into it from
outside.  No telnet daemon on the Windows box, either... any good ones out
there? :)

I suspect that if I took this laptop to work and tried to connect to home
from there, it would work fine.  Maybe I'll take it to work tomorrow and
test this.

Thanks,

Chris